AARP offers monthly senior driving safety course
Each month, AARP Safe Driver classes are offered monthly throughout Santa Cruz County with a goal of helping maturing drivers to maintain safe driving skills and, thus, their driver's licenses for a longer period of time.
The course costs $20 per person for non-AARP members and $15 for members. Besides gaining knowledge about traffic laws and the ways aging impacts driving ability, automobile insurance companies are required by law to give a discount to folks over age 50 who complete the course.
Regular classes are 8 hours and are divided into two days of 4-hours each. Registration is recommended for the popular course, as seats fill up fast and drop-ins may be turned away.
Below is the class schedule for April through June:
- 12:15-4:45 p.m. Saturday, April 5 refresher course in Santa Cruz;
- 12:30-4:30 Saturdays, April 19 and 26 regular class in Scotts Valley;
- 12:30-4:30 Monday and Tuesday, May 5 and 6 regular class in Watsonville;
- 12:30-4:30 p.m. Thursdays May 8 and 15 regular class in Santa Cruz;
- 12:15-4:45 p.m. Saturday, June 14 refresher course in Santa Cruz;
- 12:30-4:30 Thursday and Friday, June 19 and 20 regular class in Santa Cruz.
For information, call Fred Dunn-Ruiz between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. at 426-6472.