Registration refunds for stolen cars?

If your car is stolen around the time you paid your vehicle registration, are you entitled to a refund from the DMV? "You must make your request for a refund within three years after payment, but you are only eligible to receive a full refund if your car was reported stolen before your registration period began," according to Ask George, the DMV's column that addresses frequently asked questions posed by road users. "Refund requests cannot be honored beyond this period." Driver's who have had their ride stolen must must submit proof of payment, such as a registration card or sticker number, photocopy of front and back of the cancelled check or receipts issued by the department or auto club. Applications for refunds, form ADM 399, can be downloaded online and mailed to: Department of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 942869 MS A235 Sacramento, CA 94269-0001 Expect to receive a refund check in the mail or be notified of the refund request status within 60 days from the date the application was received by the DMV. Denied refunds can be appealed by writing a letter and sending it to the above address. Click here to learn more about refunds from the DMV.  
This entry was posted in Ask George, DMV, driver education, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply