So we’re a little late in posting this, but here’s the very first Power Poll of the season for Santa Cruz County hoops.
Soquel owns the No. 1 spot in both the boys and girls categories. That was to be expected.
The most difficult part came on the girls side, where teams No. 3 through 7 could probably be shuffled in another order and still make sense. Those teams, right now, seem pretty close to one another.
1. Soquel: The preseason favorite to win the SCCAL is also its last remaining undefeated team in the league.
2. Santa Cruz: The Cardinals will get a third shot at Soquel on Jan. 28.
3. MVC: David Hightower is averaging more than 20 points per game for the Mustangs.
4. Aptos: Mariners big Cole Welle is averaging 17 points and 14 rebounds per game.
5. St. Francis: The Sharks are a potential sleeper in the SCCAL this season.
6. Pajaro Valley: Three of the Grizzlies’ five losses are to St. Francis.
7. SLV: The Cougars have seen increased scoring from Trevor Patterson and Lucas Trader this season.
8. Harbor: The Pirates recently managed to avenge a prior loss to Watsonville.
9. Watsonville: The Wildcatz fell to MVC in overtime earlier this week.
10. Scotts Valley: The Falcons have competed but remain in search of their first win.
11. Pacific Collegiate: The Pumas are also searching for their first win in the MTAL.
12. Kirby Prep: Both of the Griffins’ wins are against Pescadero.
1. Soquel: The defending CCS D-IV champions are off to a 13-2 start.
2. Scotts Valley: The Falcons have won four of their last five games, with their only loss coming against Soquel.
3. Pacific Collegiate: Morgan Green is averaging nearly 30 points per game for the Pumas.
4. Watsonville: The Wildcatz are the last remaining undefeated team in MBL-P play.
5. Santa Cruz: The Cardinals opened SCCAL play against the league’s top three teams.
6. MVC: Two of the Mustangs’ three losses are to Watsonville.
7. St. Francis: The Sharks have three players averaging double digits in points.
8. Aptos: Blanca Otvos has been the Mariners’ leading scorer the last three games.
9. Harbor: Shannon Postle continues to average double-digit totals in points, rebounds.
10. San Lorenzo Valley: The Cougars are looking for the win column in the SCCAL.
11. Kirby Prep: The Griffins bounced back against Oakwood to earn first league victory.
12. Pajaro Valley: The Grizzlies remain in search of their first win in the MBL-P.