No other week this season, I think, provided more movement to the Power Poll than this past week. We have a new No. 1, No. 3, No. 4, No. 5, No. 7 and No. 8.
The biggest change, of course, is at No. 1, though. Last week’s top dog, Soquel, lost its first league game to Aptos, which was at No. 3. That opened the question: Who should be No. 1?
MVC was at 2. Should they move into the top spot? Or should Aptos leapfrog the Mustangs from 3 to 1?
We decided to go with Aptos, narrowly, and based it on two reasons:
1. We feel Aptos has had a better schedule up until this point, and the fact that it hasn’t lost in six games only helps.
2. The Mariners remain undefeated in league play and are on pace to win their second straight SCCAL title.
So, there you go. Enjoy.
1. APTOS (6-2, 4-0 SCCAL): The Mariners have won 10 straight league games and haven’t lost to a SCCAL opponent since October 2010. Last: 3. Next: Idle.
2. MVC (6-1, 2-1 MBL-P): Three Mustang receivers — David Hightower, Matthew Pirtle, Zander Fischer-Tellez — have combined for 1,039 yards and 14 TDs. Last: 2. Next: vs. Watsonville.
3. SOQUEL (5-2, 2-1 SCCAL): Knights RB Fabiano Hale has 22 touchdowns this season, three shy of the school record set by Dwight Lowery in 2003. Last: 1. Next: at SLV.
4. SCOTTS VALLEY (2-5, 1-2 SCCAL): Falcons RB Ari Wargon eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing last week with a 155-yard performance. Last: 5. Next: at Harbor.
5. SAN LORENZO VALLEY (6-2, 3-1 SCCAL): Cougars WR Lucas Sinnott leads the team with 400 yards receiving on offense, four sacks on defense. Last: 4. Next: vs. Soquel.
6. WASTSONVILLE (3-4, 1-2 MBL-P): Wildcatz RB Roger Contreras had 269 yards rushing and 3 TDs in the first half last week. Last: 6. Next: at MVC.
7. ST. FRANCIS (2-6, 1-3 SCCAL): Sharks RB Jonathan Carmona rushed for 86 yards on the ground last week, and another 42 on the go-ahead fumble return for a TD. Last: 8. Next: at Santa Cruz.
8. HARBOR (3-4, 1-2 SCCAL): Pirates RB Luke Patenaude had a season-high 124 yards rushing last week on 25 attempts. Last: 7. Last: 7. Next: vs. Scotts Valley.
9. PAJARO VALLEY (1-7, 0-4 MBL-P): Grizzlies senior linebacker Octavio Berrelleza made six tackles last week and has a team-high 59 on the season. Last: 9. Next: Idle.
10. SANTA CRUZ (0-7, 0-3 SCCAL): Two weeks ago, the run-heavy Cardinals eclipsed 100 yards on the ground for the first time in four games. Last: 10. Next: vs. St. Francis.
NOTE: The Power Poll is compiled by the Sentinel sports staff. It will appear every Friday during the season in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.