We have a new No. 1 in this week’s Power Poll, although it didn’t come without plenty of discussion.
Last week’s No. 1, MVC, lost to Seaside 12-7 last week, dropping them to No. 2 and last week’s No. 2, Soquel, moving into No. 1.
The discussion takes place when you look at Soquel’s only loss — a 32-19 defeat against Seaside.
So, the top two teams have one loss, both to the same team, with MVC — for the sake of argument — perhaps faring “better” than Soquel against Seaside.
But, while it’s difficult to keep a team No. 1 following a loss, we also think Soquel’s strength of schedule is stronger than MVC’s right now, which supplies them with an edge for the top spot.
Don’t forget about Aptos, though, which visits Soquel on Friday night.
1. SOQUEL (5-1, 2-0 SCCAL): The Knights have won nine of their last 10 games, dating back to last season. Last: 2. Next: vs. Aptos.
2. MVC (5-1, 1-1 MBL-P): The Mustangs scored less than 35 points for the first time in seven games last week. Last: 1. Next: vs. Pajaro Valley.
3. APTOS (5-2, 3-0 SCCAL): The Mariners are 0-2 this season when held below 300 total yards in a game, 5-0 when exceeding that amount. Last: 3. Next: at Soquel.
4. SAN LORENZO VALLEY (6-1, 3-0 SCCAL): The Cougars have outscored their last three opponents by a 134-10 margin. Last: 4. Next: at Scotts Valley.
5. SCOTTS VALLEY (1-5, 0-2 SCCAL): The Falcons have led by multiple scores in each of their last three games. Last: 5. Next: vs. SLV.
6. WATSONVILLE (2-4, 1-2 MBL-P): In the same game that RB Roger Contreras broke the single-game county rushing record, the Wildcatz as a team averaged 15.3 yards per carry. Last: 6. Next: vs. Fresno Christian.
7. HARBOR (3-3, 1-1 SCCAL): The Pirates are 3-0 this season when RB Garrett Fonseca exceeds 100 yards rushing in a game. Last: 7. Next: vs. St. Francis.
8. ST. FRANCIS (1-6, 0-3 SCCAL): Backup QB Matt Clifton has thrown for more than 100 yards passing in each of the last three games he’s started. Last: 8. Next: vs. Harbor.
9. PAJARO VALLEY (1-6, 0-3 MBL-P): Junior QB Eddie Medina has thrown for 310 yards and 3 TDs, rushed for 261 yards and 3 TDs. Last 9. Next: vs. MVC.
10. SANTA CRUZ (0-7, 0-3 SCCAL): The Cardinals snapped a 17-quarter scoreless streak with a Riley Cameron scoring run last week. Last: 10. Next: Idle.
NOTE: The Power Poll is compiled by the Sentinel sports staff. It will appear every Friday during the season in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.