Strikeforce confirmed the speculation surrounding Santa Cruz’s Luke Rockhold on Friday and also cancelled the Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City.
Rockhold, the Strikeforce middleweight champ, was slated to fight Lorenz Larkin. But earlier this week, TheMMACorner.com reported Rockhold suffered a hand injury and was forced to withdraw.
Neither Rockhold nor Strikeforce confirmed the news until Friday, though.
Said Rockhold via his Twitter account (@rockholdMMA): So @Strikeforce nov 3rd cancelation finally announced sorry bout that one guys! I should b healthy and ready to go for Jan.
Strikeforce is planning another event in January.
Rockhold’s withdrawal was the third for the Nov. 3 event. Frank Mir and Sarah McMann pulled out earlier. Mir was scheduled to fight Daniel Cormier in the main event.
Here is Strikeforce’s statement:
LAS VEGAS– STRIKEFORCE® announced today it is planning its next card set to air live on SHOWTIME® in January 2013. Further information on the fight card and location will be announced shortly.
STRIKEFORCE also announced the cancellation of its Nov. 3 event at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla., due to injuries sustained by main event star Frank Mir and co-main event star Luke Rockhold. Refunds for tickets purchased are available at point of sale.
“Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3, but are already working to put together a stacked card in January,” STRIKEFORCE CEO Scott Coker said.
“While we’re disappointed with the cancellation, we are looking forward to an even bigger STRIKEFORCE event on SHOWTIME early next year,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President & General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports®