Monte Vista Christian is in our No. 1 spot for the first time since Week 9 of last year.
This should come as little surprise. The Mustangs are 3-0, the last remaining undefeated team in the county, and are scoring at a clip that is surpassing last year’s team.
For instance, MVC scored a total of 178 points through 4 games last year. Through 3 games this year, the Mustangs have compiled 176 points.
Soquel moves down but not far. The Knights are at No. 2 after falling to Seaside last week.
As for the rest of the teams, Aptos, Scotts Valley and SLV are in the second tier, while Watsonville can join them with a win over the Cougars.
1. MVC [3-0]: The Mustangs, the last remaining undefeated team in the county, move into the No. 1 spot after a third straight week of scoring 50 or more points. Next: at King City. Last: 2.
2. SOQUEL [2-1]: The Knights have rushed for a county-high 932 yards this season — a combined 664 from Fabiano Hale and Ryan Reyes alone. Next: vs. Silver Creek. Last: 1.
3. APTOS [1-2]: The Mariners ran the ball 66 times last week against Watsonville, averaging 8.0 yards per carry. Next: vs. Alisal. Last: 3.
4. SCOTTS VALLEY [1-2]: Placekicker Jack Lavery has converted four field goals this season and is 5 of 5 on point-after attempts. Next: Idle. Last: 4.
5. SAN LORENZO VALLEY [2-1]: The Cougars’ defense has surrendered 48 total points in three games, 35 of which have come in the fourth quarter. Next: at Watsonville. Last: 5.
6. WATSONVILLE: [1-2]: Quarterback Eddie Mares ran for 223 yards against Santa Cruz in Week 1, passed for 185 yards against Aptos in Week 2. Next: vs. SLV. Last: 6.
7. ST. FRANCIS [1-2]: The Sharks’ 44-point output last week was the most points scored in a single game by St. Francis since Oct. 2, 2010, when it defeated Harbor 47-0. Next: at Stevenson. Last: 8.
8. SANTA CRUZ [0-3]: The Cardinals didn’t suffer their third loss last season until Nov. 4. Next: vs. North Salinas. Last: 7.
9. HARBOR: [1-2]: RB Garrett Fonseca has run for 322 yards — 100 yards more and 39 carries less than he ran last season as the team’s quarterback. Next: vs. Marina. Last: 9.
10. PAJARO VALLEY [1-2]: RB Anthony Cantrell has accounted for 65 percent of the Grizzlies’ total yards this season. Next: at Gilroy. Last: 10.
NOTE: The Power Poll is compiled by the Sentinel sports staff. It will appear every Friday during the regular season.