We have two new No. 1’s this week.
Aptos takes over the top spot in the boys rankings after it defeated previous No. 1 Santa Cruz last Friday night, while the Santa Cruz girls are the new No. 1 after Soquel fell to St. Francis in double overtime.
The most intriguing team on the boys side is Watsonville, though. They host Monterey tonight in a matchup between the two top teams in the Monterey Bay League. The Toreadores dropped the Wildcatz earlier this season, but Watsonville will get a second chance at home.
The game will hinge on whether or not Ivo Basor plays. The 6-foot-8 post is Watsonville’s leading scorer and rebounder, and his presence in the lineup completely changes the way the Wildcatz play both offense and defense — for obvious reasons.
With that said, the Wildcatz haven’t lost since Basor’s injury departure, and have since developed into a solid team without their big man. That will only help when the postseason rolls around, but Basor is needed in order to beat Monterey.
The most intriguing team on the girls side, meanwhile, is MVC. The Mustangs are enjoying one of their better seasons in recent memory, and sit in second place in the MBL with a 6-2 record, 13-5 overall. They topped Carmel in a nonleague battle Tuesday night — the Padres are undefeated in MTAL play.
It’s a 3-team race in the MBL. One-loss Christopher lost to MVC, while both of MVC’s losses are to Seaside. Seaside has two losses, too, both of which came against Christopher.
With that said, MVC plays Christopher on Feb. 8.
Enough jibber-jabber. Here are the rankings.
1. APTOS [Last week: 2]: The Mariners are the hottest team in the SCCAL right now after defeating previously undefeated Santa Cruz.
2. SANTA CRUZ : The Cardinals had won seven straight games prior to last week’s loss to Aptos.
3. SOQUEL : The Knights’ recent losses to Aptos and Santa Cruz was by a combined five points.
4. WATSONVILLE : The Wildcatz have won three straight games despite playing without leading scorer Ivo Basor.
5. MVC : The Mustangs have struggled recently by losing two of their last three games, including a four-point loss to Watsonville.
6. PACIFIC COLLEGIATE : The Pumas lost a nonleague contest to St. Thomas More, but remain undefeated in CAL play.
7. ST. FRANCIS : The Sharks had won two straight before losing to Soquel on Monday night.
8. SLV : The Cougars stunned Scotts Valley on Monday night with a 13-point victory.
9. SCOTTS VALLEY : The Falcons lost to SLV Monday and have dropped four of their last five games.
10. PAJARO VALLEY : The Grizzlies held their own in a close loss to Watsonville recently.
11. HARBOR : The Pirates struggled recently while playing against the SCCAL’s elite.
12. KIRBY PREP : Still searching for their first league win.
1. SANTA CRUZ [Last week: 2]: The Cardinals have won two straight and nine of their last 10 games.
2. SOQUEL : A double-overtime loss to St. Francis snapped a 10-game winning streak for the Knights.
3. SCOTTS VALLEY : Since losing two straight, the Falcons are winners in three of their last four games.
4. MVC : The Mustangs, with their two league losses coming to Seaside, are enjoying one of their best seasons in recent memory.
5. ST. FRANCIS : It took two overtime periods, but the Sharks knocked off previously undefeated Soquel on Monday night.
6. PACIFIC COLLEGIATE : The Pumas are undefeated in the CAL and have won seven straight.
7. APTOS : The Mariners snapped a four-game losing streak with a win over Harbor on Monday.
8. WATSONVILLE : The Wildcatz avenged a prior loss to North County with a 63-57 victory last week.
9. HARBOR : The Pirates nearly topped Aptos recently, but narrowly lost by three points.
10. PAJARO VALLEY : The Grizzlies will look to spoil Senior Night on Thursday at North Monterey County.
11. SLV : Still searching for first win in SCCAL play.
12. KIRBY PREP : The Griffins lost to one-loss York 50-29 last week.