So, the Aptos boys basketball team threw a wrench into the Power Rankings last night. The Mariners defeated Soquel in overtime behind a double-double by Jake Harrell and the late-game heroics of Danny Victory.
Initially, I had the Mariners penciled in at No. 3, with Santa Cruz No. 2 and Soquel No. 1. But, with Aptos’ win last night, the Mariners and Cardinals bump up a spot and Soquel dropped to No. 3.
I think this is how it should look. You could make the argument that Aptos deserves to be No. 1, considering it knocked off the No. 1 team — a team Santa Cruz lost to earlier this season in nonleague play. But the Cardinals get the extra point for beating Aptos in league play, as well as remaining undefeated so far in SCCAL action.
Of course, the top three — in both the boys and girls rankings — could look a lot different after this Friday night. That’s when Soquel and Santa Cruz square off.
For the boys, it’s a rematch of the Dads Club Tournament championship, which the Knights won. For the girls, it’s a matchup between the last two remaining undefeated teams in the SCCAL.
Should be a fairly enjoyable evening.
1. SANTA CRUZ [Last week: 2]: The Cardinals earn the top spot as the last remaining undefeated team in the SCCAL.
2. APTOS : Jake Harrell scored 25 points and pulled down 20 boards in Tuesday’s wild overtime win against Soquel.
3. SOQUEL : The Knights fall following Tuesday night’s overtime loss to Aptos.
4. WATSONVILLE : The Wildcatz fell to MBL contender Monterey last week, and could have their hands full with Seaside tonight.
5. SCOTTS VALLEY : Although the Falcons are coming off a loss to Soquel, they are off to one of their best starts in recent years.
6. MVC : The Mustangs have dropped three their of their last four games and are in desperate need of a league victory.
7. ST. FRANCIS : The Sharks have lost three of their last four games after posting an impressive nonleague record.
8. PACIFIC COLLEGIATE : Jason Gilbert led the Pumas to a big league victory over Trinity Christian last week.
9. HARBOR : The Pirates are searching to snap a six-game losing streak.
10. SLV : The Cougars could improve their ranking with a win tonight against visiting Harbor.
11. PAJARO VALLEY : The Grizzlies have a chance to earn their first league victory next week against North Monterey County.
12. KIRBY PREP : The Griffins are still searching for their first win.
1. SOQUEL : The Knights have won seven straight.
2. SANTA CRUZ : The Cardinals will have to defeat St. Francis tonight in order to enter Friday’s showdown undefeated against Soquel.
3. SCOTTS VALLEY : Falcons dropped their second league contest last week to Soquel.
4. PACIFIC COLLEGIATE : Pumas have won four straight and six of their last seven.
5. MVC : MVC has won three straight, plays undefeated Christopher on Thursday.
6. ST. FRANCIS : The Sharks snapped a three-game losing streak last week to Aptos.
7. APTOS : The Mariners have lost two straight since opening league play 2-1.
8. HARBOR : The Pirates are in search of their first league win, but they will get their chance tonight against SLV.
9. WATSONVILLE : The Wildcatz had eight scorers in their loss to Seaside last week.
10. PAJARO VALLEY : The Grizzlies won their first game of the regular season but haven’t won since.
11. KIRPY PREP : Although it was in nonleague play, the Griffins picked up a victory last week against Pescadero.
12. SLV : The Cougars are still searching for their first win.