League play kicks off this week. What better time to introduce the power rankings?
These will be updated every week until the end of the regular season. They are completely arbitrary. Enjoy.
Sentinel Power Rankings
1. Soquel: Although some consider Santa Cruz the favorite this year, the Knights and their Dads Club title win over the Cardinals have the edge right now.
2. Santa Cruz: The Cardinals have just three losses on the season — to St. Francis of Mountain View, Soquel and Oakland Tech.
3. Aptos: The Mariners recently won the Steinbach Classic, and recently defeated No. 4 Watsonville.
4. Watsonville: The Wildcatz struggled with some adversity in the preseason, but looked formidable with a healthy Lamar Cowans and Ivo Basor.
5. MVC: The Mustangs have the chance to move up the list with a win over Watsonville on Wednesday night.
6. St. Francis: Although they have capitalized against lesser teams, the Sharks are nevertheless 9-3 going into league play.
7. Scotts Valley: The Falcons enter league action as winners in four of their last five games.
8. SLV: The Cougars have hit a three-game losing streak, but they could put a halt to that when they visit St. Francis on Wednesday.
9. Pacific Collegiate: The Pumas dropped below .500 at the end of their preseason schedule, but are still expected to be the team to beat in the Coastal Athletic League.
10. Harbor: It’s expected to be a rebuilding year for the Pirates after graduating league MVP Colin Gruber.
11. Pajaro Valley: The Grizzlies went 0-3 at the Condor Christmas Classic.
12. Kirby: The Griffins struggled during nonleague play, but they will have a chance to bounce back this week against York and Anzar.
1. Scotts Valley: The defending regular-season champs of the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League are off to a 9-2 start this season.
2. Soquel: The Knights, who went 10-2 in the preseason, returned perhaps the most talent from a team that went 20-8 a year ago.
3. Santa Cruz: The Cardinals won two of the three nonleague tournaments they competed in during the preseason and compiled an 11-1 record.
4. St. Francis: Aside from their loss to Santa Cruz last month, the Sharks were otherwise solid during their nonleague schedule.
5. PCS: The Pumas are expected to win their third straight league title behind the play of sophomore Morgan Green.
6. Harbor: The Pirates are poised to move up the list; Harbor recently defeated defending Tri-County Athletic League champion Gilroy.
7. MVC: The Mustangs open league play above .500 and winners in two of their last three games.
8. Watsonville: The Wildcatz have struggled to find the win column after their 2-0 start.
9. Aptos: The Mariners had a solid showing at the Alisal Winter Jam, winning two of three.
10. Pajaro Valley: The Grizzlies won their first game of the season but have struggled ever since.
11. Kirby: The Griffins are looking to develop after graduating a pair of all-league selections.
12. SLV: The Cougars will try to bounce back in SCCAL play after a tough preseason slate.