We have a new No. 1 this week, one week after we had a new No. 1.
Aptos and MVC have jockeyed for the top spot recently, and this week it’s the private Watsonville school that earns the top spot.
Why? Well, by the magic of comparitive scoring, unfortunately.
MVC and Aptos don’t play each other this year, which stinks, because then we could accurately settle “top team in the county” status. Instead, we have to look at past opponents.
It’s not science. But then again, neither is this Power Poll.
MVC and Aptos have had three common opponents — Watsonville, St. Francis and Soquel. Aptos defeated those three teams by a combined score of 155-72, while MVC did the same by a combined score of 124-16.
The most obvious difference is the Soquel game, though. Aptos allowed 55 points to the Knights; MVC allowed 7. I was at both games, and the Mustangs never really allowed Soquel to ever get going offensively, which is rather impressive considering the points Soquel has put up against other teams this season.
Here are the rest of the rankings:
1. MVC [6-0, 2-0 MBL]: The Mustangs edged a high-powered Christopher team in a come-from-behind 20-18 victory and return to the top spot for the fourth time in eight weeks. Next: at Seaside. Last: 2.
2. Aptos [6-1, 3-0 SCCAL]: The Mariners don’t play MVC this season, but they drop to No. 2 after they beat Soquel 65-55 last week — a team the Mustangs defeated 34-7. Next: Idle. Last: 1.
3. Scotts Valley [5-2, 2-1 SCCAL]: The Falcons bounced back from their loss to Aptos two weeks ago to deliver a strong offensive and defensive showing against No. 6 SLV. Next: vs. Harbor. Last: 3.
4. Santa Cruz [5-1, 2-0 SCCAL]: The Cardinals, winners of five straight games, have the chance to move up the poll in the upcoming weeks with games against Scotts Valley and Aptos. Next: vs. St. Francis. Last: 4.
5. Soquel [2-4, 0-2 SCCAL]: The Knights hung with No. 1 Aptos offensively, but they couldn’t slow the SCCALs top-ranked team during last week’s 65-55 loss. Next: vs. SLV. Last: 5.
6. SLV [3-4, 1-2 SCCAL]: The Cougars weren’t able to move up the poll following last week’s loss to Scotts Valley. But they could leapfrog Soquel with a win tonight. Next: at Soquel. Last: 6.
7. Watsonville [1-6, 0-3 MBL]: The Wildcatz stayed with Seaside up until the fourth quarter last week, but a prior loss to No. 6 SLV is preventing Watsonville from moving up. Next: Idle. Last: 7.
8. Pajaro Valley [1-4-1, 0-2 MBL]: The Grizzlies have lost four of their last five games, but remain at No. 8 with their prior win over Harbor. Next: at Monterey. Last: 8.
9. Harbor [2-4, 1-1 SCCAL]: By silencing St. Francis in the second half last week, the Pirates ended a 3-game losing streak and moved out of the No. 10 spot. Next: at Scotts Valley. Last: 10.
10. St. Francis [2-5, 0-3 SCCAL]: After starting the season 2-2, the Sharks have lost three straight, including last week’s defeat to then-No. 10 Harbor. Next: vs. Santa Cruz. Last 9.
Note: The Power Poll is compiled by the Sentinel sports staff. It will appear every Friday during the season.