The Sentinel’s most popular pages in February
Here are the 10 most viewed stories and pages from the Sentinel website in February:
- Santa Cruz Sentinel Photo Contest : 2012 Happy Face!
- Santa Cruz Sentinel Photo Contest : 2012 Only in Santa Cruz!
- 15-year-old Aptos girl sliced in fight at her birthday party
- Santa Cruz pro surfer Anthony Ruffo sentenced to jail for drug dealing
- Police: Drunken man packs loaded gun at bar, patrons take him down
- Santa Cruz Police: Woman arrested three times in five days
- Apple road trip ad boosts Santa Cruz profile nationally
- Owner of three Santa Cruz markets arrested, Santa Cruz district attorney says
- New dog leash warnings divide Santa Cruz County residents
- Ristorante Barolo due for Restaurant: Impossible TV makeover Wednesday
For the month of February, we had 3,294,380 page views, up about 300,000 from January and up more than 500,000 from February 2011.
We had 449,495 unique visitors, up more than 40,000 from January and more than 65,000 from February 2011.
Among projects, we launched the Santa Cruz Community Media Lab – connecting with more than 90 bloggers on the landing page. But running behind that landing page, we’re connecting on twitter, facebook, google+, youtube, tumblr, and building lists, meeting face-to-face and talking about ways to get more voices heard more often in more ways.
Also in February, we’re breaking more news on twitter. Reporters Donna Jones and Jondi Gumz, relatively new to the twitter world, both went past 100 followers, as did the @santacruzfood. Reporter Jason Hoppin broke news of how much a proposed food truck bill would impact the industry in an attempt to offer better meals for kids. Hoppin broke down the data, built maps, and tweeted them to a wide audience before the story appeared in the paper.
Reporter Jessica Pasko went over 1,000 followers. All our reporters know that news breaks on twitter and that they can tweet what they’re seeing and learning directly to our home page.
In other social media, the Sentinel twitter account is approaching 5,000 followers. We’ve maxed out on 5,000 facebook friends, but we’re adding fans (2,269) and subscribers (nearly 800) daily. Our Flickr account has had more than a half million views in the past year, and we plan to make photos and video a bigger emphasis as we go forward.
Our award-winning sports staff also had one of its biggest months of web traffic, we launched a new version of the weekly Guide section, including QR codes linking smart phones to web pages. And, we’ve quietly launched news apps for Android and iPhone – much more about those soon! And finally, we put a GoPro video camera on the helmet of a roller derby ref.
Thanks for connecting with the Sentinel.