Would you like a text message from the Sentinel the next time a tsunami is headed toward Santa Cruz?
We’ve added a significant news alert option for readers. We’ll only use it for breaking news likely to affect most Santa Cruz County residents.
Here’s how to sign up. Go to our mobile edition sign-up page. Enter your phone number, confirm, and you’re in. We expect to send messages maybe once a month with the biggest stories to affect the area – fires, earthquakes, significant public safety issues, huge traffic snarls. You can cancel any time.
We also offer daily weather reports and we’ll add more categories in the future, but we wanted to offer readers this option now.
1) We’re asking reporters to use twitter to update the site. Sports reporters are sending in their updates here using #scscore. Newsroom reporters are sending us updates here using #scsnews. Got a score or newsworthy item? You’re welcome to use the hash tags.
2) We’ve added an outside page that includes the best of our coverage from the print edition, but also a collection of video, links to the best of our outdoors photography, links to all kinds of recreation opportunities around here, live surf reports courtesy of Surfline.com, and a little twitter widget featuring the list of surfers we follow on twitter.
3) Got Daily Deals -If you’re a follower of the Sentinel on Facebook, Twitter or elsewhere, we’re making sure you have a chance to get in on the Daily Deal from local businesses. We
4) Facebook comments: Facebook has added a few features to their commenting system, including opportunities to login through Yahoo! or Hotmail. We feel like the tools they’re offering make it a good alternative to Disqus, which despite a lot of effort, didn’t cooperate with our content management system. We’ll revisit the commenting system when our content management system is upgrated (sometime this year is the expectation). We actually really like Disqus, if we could make it work. It’s pretty seamless with our WordPress blogs.
5) We’re shooting video of a couple amazing stunts to be performed this weekend at the Boardwalk. Look for it on Saturday night.